Today I had the opportunity of again playing the piano at the Senior Citizens' Center for their variety show. I accompanied as well as provided background music. As before, I came away much more uplifted, I'm sure, than I could have lifted the people there.
I had a profound experience that humbled me to my very core and had me crying the whole entire drive home. Thank goodness for sunglasses; they served me well at the Arby's drive-thru where I stopped and got my very nutritious lunch on the way.
I got there at 11:00 to practice with the chorus (the variety show was at noon), and when I went to the room we were going to practice at, it was completely full with people of all ages in the mentally handicapped community. I went to the lunchroom/auditorium to find Margaret and it turned out that the handicapped people who were there were doing a talent show. Watching them perform absolutely dropped me to my knees. Most of these people don't have a mental age of more than 4 and many have severe physical limitations, as well. The show was so well-put together and so creatively done to accomodate them and enable them to share what they could, even if was just waving a scarf in time to a recorded song. I looked at their faces and saw how much joy they had in doing something so simple with their very limited physical bodies and realized just how very much I have to be thankful for. Even as I'm typing this the tears won't stop. The finale number was everyone dancing to "The Twist." Some could twist, some could just bob their heads in time to the music or wave their arms, some could just smile. And it was beautiful.
I have been very bogged down lately with worry over Brittany, and have also been dealing with a great deal of grief having to do with accepting that she has autistic traits. It was so bad for me yesterday that I asked Kelly for a priesthood blessing, which was a huge help and comfort. I was given some insights that helped a lot. When I showed up at the center and got to see this very special talent show, I knew that Heavenly Father was showing me how much worse it could be for her and pointing out that even with these severe disabilities these children of his still had joy in their lives, personally and to give to others. And can they teach others about Heavenly Father? Absolutely. I was reminded of the poem "Forgive Me When I Whine, I Have Two Legs, the World is Mine." My daughter has full use of her body, she is able to express herself and maintain emotional relationships. She is creative and intelligent and is able to express those qualities. She is compassionate and giving and has a darling sense of humor. A little glitchy in her processing, yes. Day to day can be a little labor intensive at times, but she will be fine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment