Yesterday was Kelly's 40th birthday!! It was a busy day, but I think it was a good one for him. We followed our usual tradition of giving the birthday person their presents in the morning. Usually we sing them awake but he was up earlier than everyone else. I was so tired--I've had trouble sleeping for the past week or so and only got about 3 hours that night. He liked his presents--I got him some new dress khakis with a blue button-down shirt and matching tie that he can wear as an alternative to the white shirt and tie (I love blue on him because it really brings out his beautiful blue eyes), and a grey polo-style shirt with stripes. As he picked up the book I got him he thought it was a book Brittany had showed him that's based on the new Star Wars Wii game that is coming out in a few days--I hope he wasn't too disappointed that it was a book by Gerald Lund on personal revelation. His favorite gift was the movie Casino Royale from the kids; he was VERY excited about that.
I wanted to do a surprise party for him, but Young Men's/ Young Women's was last night and he is one of the Young Men advisors. Long story short, I got one of the other advisors to make up a bogus activity since Kelly was supposed to be in charge. He called Kelly and asked if he could do this other activity, and what they really did was come over here to do a service project as a birthday present--clearing out all the debris that's been next to the garage since spring when Kelly pruned the yard (we don't have a truck so haven't had a way to haul it, and Kelly doesn't like asking for help), and I had pizza, cake and ice cream for them and then they played on the Wii. My intention was Wii bowling but most of the boys are into Wii RockStar so they all went home to get their equipment and brought it back. It was pretty cool to see how that works. The other advisor commented on how he used to be in a garage band when he was a teen, and at least they learned something doing it--playing actual instruments. He said technology's even taken that away from the kids--they think they're so good on those guitars but they're not learning how to really play. I think it might be a good way to do drums, though. Brittany has been saying for a few years that she wants to play drums and I told her she can do that when she moves out into her own place. I don't think I could take the noise--Brittany tends to do things obsessively, and if we had real drums I don't think we'd ever get a break from the noise!
Anyway, I think it was a good day. I'm actually doing his REAL surprise party on Sunday--ssssh--and it's going to be glorious. Lots of "old guy" digs. :)
btw, the card I gave him yesterday was hilarious. It had an illustration of two half-full glasses; one said "this glass is half full," the other said, "this glass is half empty," and when you opened it up there was a glass with false teeth in it that said, "this glass is yours." He laughed pretty hard.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment