Tuesday, September 9, 2008

My Farmboy, a Scooter Ride and Our Funny Garden

So, I had a ridiculous morning today that reminded me just how sweet and wonderful my husband is. Since early in our relationship, the movie "Princess Bride" has figured in there. We served in the same mission and for one of our multizone activities our mission president gave the okay for the zonies to show it at one of the church cultural halls for an activity. Ever since then, Kelly has frequently used the line "As you wish" when he does something for me. It's very sweet.

What happened today was that I had a dr. appointment; as I opened the back door to leave the alarm went off and I remembered that I had reset it after Kelly and the kids left this morning. I didn't sleep well so went back to bed for a couple of hours. I had to run to the keypad to deactivate it, then rushed out the door to the van so I wouldn't be late, only to realize that I had left the keys in the house. My neighbor wasn't home so I walked to the gas station to call and let the dr.'s office know I wasn't just not showing up, then called Kelly to see if he could drive home on his lunch and let me back in the house. I waited for him at Wendy's and he cheerfully drove up on his scooter and had lunch with me. He asked if I wanted him to drive home and get the van for me or ride the scooter, and I opted for the scooter ride. It had started to sprinkle but I rode anyway. It was so much fun! Every time he started the scooter back up after waiting to turn I screamed because I felt like I was going to slide backward and land on my butt on the road. He thought that was pretty funny.

When we got home he had to crawl through one of our windows because Brittany forgot to return his housekey yesterday, which she has because she lost her key. If anyone ever doubted I was her mother, that similarity alone would be confirmation! I'm sure her keys will show up in some obvious place that's been right under her nose all along because that's what happens to me every time.

After Kelly was done saving me and he started back to work I thanked him for being so sweet and he said, "As you wish." My own sweet Farmboy.

While he was getting in the house I went in the backyard to look at our garden. It really is the funniest thing you've ever seen. It's our first real attempt at growing a garden. The cucumbers and radishes never came up, and the yellow squash plants grew but we got no squash from them. Out of the 12 tomato plants we put in, only 8 or 9 survived and of those only three are producing tomatoes. We've eaten six and they didn't grow as big as they should have. We have a little corn patch that is hilarious--we planted four rows of about ten, and we have these random stalks where one row has several in a row, then the next one has like two on either end; you get the picture. And apparently we planted late because they're about half as tall as everyone else who did corn. When I went back there today there was a flock of quail gathered on the ground where the corn was, ready to harvest it for us.

But then there is the zucchini. Brittany and I are the only ones who like zucchini, but even if no one liked it I would have planted some because I've heard over the years that people always end up with too much zucchini, just off of a couple of plants. So we planted about EIGHT zucchini plants, just so we could feel successful. We have a lot of blossoms and just a few days ago Kelly brought in some real zucchinis! But they are the funniest looking things--one is curved all the way into a tight U-shape and most of them are shaped really funny. They aren't nice and straight like the ones you get at the store, except for a few of them.

I guess we should do some Gardening for Dummies research so we have better success next year. I wanted to can tomatoes and what we got won't even fill up a jar!

Incidentally, the garden was something I wanted, so Kelly put it in. And Kelly has done the weeding and most of the watering. It's another of those "As You Wish" things. It makes me feel like a lucky princess. And kind of like a spoiled brat.

No comments: