Shane went to Homecoming on Saturday and had a great time. His group kind of had "homebase" at our house, which included the guys cooking dinner for the girls. They started off with making muffins for breakfast, picking the girls up and going water skiing for their "day date." Day date?! When did this start? I'm baffled by the whole thing. . .I didn't know about the whole day date thing until he went to Sweetheart Ball this past February. I don't remember day dates back when I was in high school. . .then again I was never asked to a dance so maybe that's why. I always thought it was dinner and then the dance. Now it is a whole-day affair that ends with the dance. I'm amazed that they can last through the whole thing! These guys looked pretty bloodshot by the time they got all the girls dropped off after the dance was over.
Anyway, after waterskiing they took the girls back home to get ready for dinner and the dance, and came back to our house to cook. I got back from Wal-Mart and walked in to see two boys who I didn't know busily stirring multiple pots on the stove and preparing bruschetta on the dining room table. I have to say that I was impressed--they did a very nice dinner. They even bought fresh herbs and real butter (what can I say, I almost always use margarine). They had steak (marinated, even!), pasta with alfredo and marinara sauces, bruschetta (he made me some, and boy was it good), salad, and fudge for dessert.
Brittany and her friend Elizabeth got the table ready for them in the backyard after they got dressed and went to pick the girls up. They did a beautiful job--I told them that they should go into a catering business when they "grow up" and they were pleased with the compliment. They used white sheets for a makeshift tablecloth, put a vase of flowers in the middle and lined the middle the rest of the way down with tea lights. They improvised and put the tea lights in goblets and they effect was really pretty. They also tied all the utensils into the napkins with yarn and put Brittany's stereo outside to play music. The effect was magical--it was dark by the time the couples arrived and Brittany said all the girls were exclaiming about how it looked when they walked back there.
The boys were told by Kelly that they needed to clean up after themselves so I wasn't stuck with the mess, and they planned on it. I decided to take pity on them and did the dishes while they were at the dance--after I watched Coco Chanel on Lifetime. It actually felt good and I didn't mind. I have to say that it was amazing how many dishes they used to cook, though! It was cute seeing them go to all that work, though. They were really nice guys, very respectful to me and I enjoyed getting to know them. I paid Brittany and Elizabeth to finish the last of the dishes and scrub the stovetop for me, and they were happy to earn more money--they were already in money mode because the guys tipped them for serving the food.
It was a fun day for them, and I'm glad I put my bitterness from my last post aside. I could have made it a really crappy, uncomfortable night and I'm glad that I didn't. The guys showed back up at almost 1:00 a.m. to clean up and protested that we had cleaned up for them. They really wanted me to know that they were planning on doing it. They had stopped by Wal-Mart to grab snacks to keep them awake. Mountain Dew and bloodshot eyes! I'm glad I had pity on them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment