Sunday, November 30, 2008

The blonde is back! (Well, almost)

So we finally have our blonde daughter back. She naturally has very beautiful blonde hair, the shade that a lot of people pay a lot of money to get in a salon. In June I got a call from her at a sleepover asking if it was okay if they dyed her hair brunette. I, wanting to be an ultra-cool mom, thought, "Well, you're only a crazy teenager once, so go ahead," and told her okay. Next morning I was greeted with almost BLACK hair. It's faded over the months of washing to a kind of light-brown with some red in it.

I didn't realize when I said, "Sure," what kind of cost I was looking at to get it FIXED. I knew highlights are around $80.00 so with that in mind, called the salon to make an appt. Friday. I told them I wanted to get her hair restored back to its natural color, and they told me it would end up being around $160 freaking dollars because of having to strip it first. What we ended up doing was highlights matching her natural color (quite a lot has grown in so they could match it) and it was $65.00. There was a scary moment when her hair started to go PINK because the dye from the sleepover had a red base to it and it reacted to the chemicals at the salon, but they were able to fix it.

It's not completely back but it's a lot closer! There is a bit of a pinkish tinge to it--lessons learned are NEVER use haircolor in a box from the store, and have all your facts in line before saying YES to something like this. I've never colored my hair so didn't know what I was in for. :) I told Brittany that for future reference the answer is NO as long as we're still supporting her financially. If she wants to spend money on that later, more power to her!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Oh gosh! Sounds like when I was in h.s. and dyed my hair pitch black! Only I didn't ask permission, i just did it AND I used permanent hair color. My mom wasn't too upset, but my aunt was and threw a fit. She was the one who paid to have it fixed.

Katrina said...

I was getting used to her with brown hair! Once I had my hair dyed darker (by a professional), trying to get rid of the platinum job I'd done at home. It was icky. I ended up having to just grow it out and cut off the nasty. Lesson learned: Stick with highlights that are somewhat subtle.

Speaking of which, I think you'd look fab with highlights, my virgin-haired sister.